Auditions for God of Carnage
Written by Yasmina Reza
Translated by Christopher Hampton
Directed by Scott Ford
Performance & Rehearsal Information
October 12–28, 2018 (11 performances)
First read-through tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, August 22, 2018
Note on Diversity and Inclusive Casting
Actors of all races and ethnicities are strongly encouraged to audition. Lyric Arts is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the casting of its productions and, therefore, urges actors of diverse backgrounds and those from underrepresented groups to audition.
Open Call Auditions
Monday, June 18
6:30 to 9:30 pm
Tuesday, June 19
6:30 to 9:30 pm
Doors open for registration 15 minutes prior to audition start time.
Final registration accepted 30 minutes before the end of auditions.
Wednesday, June 27
Yasmina Reza’s God of Carnage is a brilliant, funny, and insightful script with four terrific roles. The Raleighs and Novaks are two sets of parents who have gathered to discuss an altercation between their 11-year-old sons. As tensions increase the constraints of civility are shrugged off to give way to a sort of conversational warfare. Smiles freeze, tempers simmer and flare, rum is consumed, accusations and insults are hurled, someone barfs. By turns scathing and hilarious, the play requires a strong ensemble of four smart actors who can each play the sophisticate and the fool.
Please prepare a two-minute contemporary monologue. You may also be asked to read from the script.
Alan Raleigh: Successful corporate attorney. Driven. Attached to his cell phone. Dismissive. Blunt. Self-assured to a fault. 35-50.
Annette Raleigh: Wealth management professional. Strives to be appropriately contrite on her son’s behalf. Swallows her tension. Sensitive. Anxious. Wound tightly. 35-50.
Michael Novak: Runs a household furnishings business. Friendly, but his Neanderthal instincts lie a bit closer to the surface. Earthy. A bit of swagger. 35-50.
Veronica Novak: Writer and scholar. Art lover. Protective mother. Attuned to maintaining appearances. An intellectual who eventually snarls and snaps. 35-50.
- Stipend paid.
- All auditions are held at Lyric Arts Main Street Stage, 420 E Main St, Anoka 55303.
- Auditioners will be seen in the order they arrive. No appointments are necessary.
- Please come prepared with headshot (or other non-returnable current photo) and résumé, if available.
- Please arrive with a calendar outlining all possible conflict dates between the first read-through and the final performance. (No conflicts for tech week or performance dates will be accepted.)
- Age ranges listed in character descriptions signify the age of the character to be played.
- All other questions about auditions—including those regarding audition conflicts—should be sent to our auditions e-mail.